20 of the Best Volunteer Interview Questions for 2021
A volunteer interview is vital for any organization because it is an opportunity for the organization to know about the volunteer. Every year organizations receive a lot of applications for volunteers, and a proper screening process must be put in place to choose the best. It would be best to have a volunteer who has the same mission and help the organization reach its goals. They should be the correct fit for your organization, and you will tell them this once you interview them. A great volunteer can be a tremendous asset with any fundraising ideas. Here are some essential questions for any volunteer.
Sample Volunteer Interview Questions
- How did you get to know about this organization? You will learn how they knew about the organization and see if they have a genuine interest in your cause.
- What do you know about this organization? This will help you know if they did some research to know about the organization and if they have a genuine concern about your mission.
- What experience do you have concerning the mission of this organization? You will be able to know what they have to offer the organization. Ask about their previous employment to know if they have any experience the organization may use.
- What skill or knowledge do you have that will be useful to us? The volunteer will tell you about any gift they have to see how the skill or knowledge can be used to further the organization’s agenda.
- Have you ever been arrested, and if so, what was it for? You need to find out about any criminal history the volunteer might have.
- Have you worked as a volunteer in any other organization? It can be useful to know if the candidate has done any other volunteer work.
- What is your educational background? Any educational experience that may be useful to the organization is essential to note.
- Why do you want to work with this organization? You need to know what interests the candidate in volunteering with you.
- Do you prefer working alone or collaborating with others? You will be able to find out if they are a team player or not.
- What are your most significant weaknesses and strengths? Any weakness or strength that will make the volunteer fit in is also right to know.
- What are your hobbies?
- How good are you in emergencies? This will help you know how the candidate reacts when they face a crisis.
- Do you categorize yourself as a leader or a follower?
- Have you ever found yourself in a difficult situation, and how did you handle the situation?
- Tell me about yourself?
- What makes you the best option for this position?
- What motivates you?
- Are you able to come to work on short notice? You need to know if they will be available in case you need them fast.
- What do you think can hinder your work in this organization?
- Do you have any questions for us?
These Questions Should Help You Find the Best Volunteers
These questions will help you know more about the candidate’s background, personality, and if they will fit well in the organization. You will be able to choose the right volunteer if you ask the correct questions. Make sure that you always thank your volunteers with a proper volunteer thank you letters and you acknowledge them with a volunteer appreciation speech!